Helio personal data breached

I got a notice yesterday from Helio, my former wireless carrier through my former employer, that I am among a group of their subscribers whose personal information may have been breached and that I’m in danger of identify theft because of it.

We are writing to you because of a recent compromise in security. Helio has discovered that restricted data containing certain personal information was accessed through illegal means.

We regret to inform you that your name is among those that may have been compromised. While we are uncertain whether your personal information was actually obtained, we know that the individual(s) responsible sought and retrieved some personal information, including customer names, addresses, phone numbers, dates of birth and partial Social Security numbers (last four digits).

Helio has taken steps to secure this data by limiting access to this information, resetting passwords and implementing new procedures to protect this information. In addition, Helio has notified the appropriate law enforcement agencies and an investigation is being conducted.

Just swell. So now I need to contact the credit bureaus, put a fraud alert on my account, check my credit records and monitor my credit for the next year or so. Is it so freaking hard to keep customer information under wraps?

And thanks, Helio, for taking “steps to secure this data” – after the breach.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

9 Responses to “Helio personal data breached”

1. Bean says:

Glad to see I was not the only one. This company is the absolute worst company to deal with ever. Horrible rates, horrible service, and now they didn’t protect personal information. I’d really like to sue personally.

2. Scott says:

Sorry to hear about the job. Now I guess I know why you never answer your cell. Hope everything else (baby and wife) are fine. Planning any trips home any time soon? (just noticed the Bet-r tag at the bottom. nice)

3. Cap'n Ken says:

Hey, I talked to you once, didn’t I? Lack of communications availability is more due to me being off chasing the baby; not the Helio phone (I have the same phone number). Just ask TCL – boy lives like 10 miles from me, works even closer and I haven’t talked to him in months.

4. philip vacanti says:

I also got the helio notice and I’m furious about it. I dont understand why we have to go to the credit companies and put out fraud alerts…Helio should be hiring a 3rd party comnpany to do this for us. They are a joke and I hope there is a class action suit against them on this.

5. henry says:

what did you end up doing?i got the same letter from them.

im thinking of starting a class action lawsuit…

6. Cap'n Ken says:

Henry – I just did what they said I should do. I put the fraud alert on, so that process has started. And I was due a free annual credit report, so I went ahead and got one of those (if you stagger reports you get from the three agencies, you can get a free one every four months). Nothing out of the ordinary in the credit report, so that’s good.

But hugely frustrating. I don’t anticipate applying for new credit anytime soon, but having to put on the fraud alert will complicate any accounts I do try to open. Stupid for Helio to put me in this situation.

As for a class-action, that’s not really my bag, but something has to be done to make companies we trust with our personal data protect it correctly.

7. erika says:

I’m pretty sure that I’m going to be speaking to a lawyer about this shortly; I cancelled my service with them in November of 2006. Why should a company have anybody’s personal information for that long, especially when they are being careless with it?

8. Kyle says:

I got the notice too, This is absurd. I had there service for about 8 days total over a year ago? Why the hell was my information still in the system after all this time? I also agree they need to be handling this but im not sure i would trust them at this point. Really frustrating and some CSR is going to hear a earful from me tomorrow.

9. natasik says:

Просто замечательно – очень интересные мысли. Разжевано специально как бы для меня :)

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!